Judd Brink is a local guide and naturalist who provides a weekly birding report during the spring bird migration, the summer nesting season, and the fall bird migration for Visit Brainerd. This is the 11th season Judd has provided birding reports about the Brainerd Lakes Area.
Birds Spotted in the Brainerd Area:
Today’s birding report comes from the Brainerd lakes area: Yellow-rumped Warbler, Palm Warbler, Yellow Warbler, Pine Warbler, Song Sparrow, Chipping sparrow, Dark-eyed Junco, White-throated Sparrow, Red-winged Blackbird, Scarlet Tanager, Northern Flicker, Yellow-bellied Sapsucker, Pileated Woodpecker, House Finch, American Goldfinch, Cedar Waxwing, Wild Turkey, Common Raven, Red-breasted Nuthatch, Common Loon, Trumpeter Swan, Belted Kingfisher, Sandhill Crane, Red-tailed Hawk, Bald Eagle, Turkey Vulture, Canada Goose, Mallard, Ring-neck Duck, Woodduck, Hooded Merganser, Yellowlegs (sp) and Morning Dove. Happy Birding! If you want to share a photo or have a unique bird sighting please email them to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note that while you are enjoying our many lakes, young loons are learning and exploring on those same lakes, so please be careful around loon families.
Fall Bird Migration:
Here are a few fun links to follow especially during the fall migration season of September through October.
- https://birdcast.info/ (type in Crow Wing County). Saturday, Sept. 23, was a big night of flight in Crow Wing County with 3.7-million birds.
- https://www.hawkridge.org/ Hawk Ridge is located in Duluth, MN, and is one of the best sites in the entire Midwest for the fall raptor migration. Saturday, Sept. 23, was a great day with more than 6,000 migrating raptor.
Brainerd Area Birding Locations:
- French Rapids ( Mississippi River): Waterfowl
- Kiwanis/Rotary Park (Mississippi River): Waterfowl and Warblers
- Northland Arboretum: Sparrows, Warblers and Tanagers
- Crow Wing State Park: Songbirds, Waterfowl and Warblers
- Sherburne National Wildlife Refuge: Sandhill Cranes