Brainerd, MN, is a great destination for a family vacation or a quick get-away. Brainerd is located in central Minnesota and is only 100-150 miles from Bemidji, Duluth, Fargo and Minneapolis/St. Paul. An easy trip-on-a-tank with a variety of lodging options and activities to do, here’s a list of favorite Brainerd attractions for the family to check out:
- Safari North Wildlife Park — (7.7 miles south of Brainerd) This wildlife park features animals from five different continents plus a section devoted to fun for the kids. Open 7 days a week from 9am to 6pm. Pricing for adults is $14.99 and for kids 2 to 12 it’s $9.99.
- Mini-golf — Pricing of mini golf starts at $6.50 and prices vary depending on the course. Pirate’s Cove (7.8 mi N of Brainerd) is open as weather permits from mid-April through October. Northland Kart Kountry (7.3 mi N of Brainerd) is open from 10am-11pm daily Memorial Day weekend through Labor Day weekend. Wildwedge (24.9 mi N of Brainerd) is open 8am-8pm Sunday through Thursday and 8am-9am Friday and Saturday. These are all good choices with different scenery, obstacles and levels of difficulty.
- Go carts — Prices for go-carts start as low as $6 and vary depending on where and what type of go-cart. Billy Bone’s (7.7 mi N of Brainerd) hours is open 11am-10pm Memorial Day weekend through Labor Day weekend; and Northland Kart Kountry (7.3 mi N of Brainerd) is open 10am-11pm daily Memorial Day weekend through Labor Day weekend. Both places feature three tracks with carts fitting people of all ages and sizes.
- Paul Bunyan Land — A perennial favorite and known for the animated Paul Bunyan who greets you by name upon entering. Admission for 2 years-old and under is free, 3-64 years-old is $21.95, 65+ is 18.95. Located 8.2 mi east of Brainerd it’s open 10am-6pm daily Memorial Day weekend through Labor Day weekend. Features rides, a pioneer village and some of Paul’s favorite places to visit. Brainerd’s very own Amusement Park.
- Waterparks and Laser Tag — If you are looking for indoor entertainment, you are in luck! Brainerd has three indoor waterparks plus three indoor pools. The waterparks are Paul Bunyan Waterpark at Arrowwood Lodge, Rapid River Lodge and Waterpark at Comfort Suites, and Three Bears Water Park at Holiday Inn Express. Call ahead to check hours and availability. The waterparks also have arcades and games. The indoor pools are at Baymont, Country Inn and Suites, and Days Inn and Suites. After you’ve been water-logged for a while, check out Laser Tag at Holiday Inn Express.